Among Manchester United’s needs for the upcoming transfer window, the defensive midfielder ranks high.
It’s always good to see United have a new name associated with it instead of potentially overpaying Declan Rice.
Spanish newspaper AS suggested a new option, Getafe midfielder Mauro Arambarri.
United representatives have contacted Arambarri’s entourage to express an interest, according to the report.
What can we tell you about Arambarri and how much would it cost?
(Photo by Eric Alonso / Getty Images)
1) Arambarri, 25, signed for Getafe on the Uruguayan side of the Boston River in 2017 after working with Bordeaux in France.
2) He won his first international match for Uruguay in World Cup qualifying last September. He has a total of four international matches.
3) Arambarri’s contract with Getafe expires in 2023. AS reports that he has a release clause for 25 million euros.
4) Arambarri has 11 bookings this season. This is the second tallest of all midfielders in the league.
5) This season Arambarri has scored three goals from midfield for Getafe. One of them faced the final boss of the United Europa League, Villarreal.
What the numbers say …
This season Arambarri has won 57 tackles. This is the third highest of any player in La Liga.
FBRef.com Report Arambarri “pressured” 699 when not in possession. This is the second highest in the league.
Arambarri’s 52 interceptions put him in sixth place in La Liga, just behind Real Madrid’s Casemiro (56).
FBRef’s scouting report puts him in the top 5 percent of midfielders in Europe’s top 5 leagues when it comes to pressure and interception.
This season Arambarri has won 74 free kicks. That is the sixth highest in La Liga.
In a tough campaign for 16th place at Getafe, Arambarri is ranked the best player on the team by WhoScored.com.
Would that be good business?
Arambarri has the resources to become a good defensive midfielder for Manchester United but there are no guarantees.
It certainly seems smarter to play an inexpensive game of Arambarri for £ 21.5 million than paying four times the amount for Declan Rice.
However, there is an advantage in signing a player who has proven himself in the Premier League.
(Photo by Diego Souto / Quality Sports Images / Getty Images)
Arambarri has received 11 bookings in La Liga which is usually slower than in England. Hence, it is not known how he can adapt to the Premier League.
Of course, if it were just about the Premier League experience, United would have signed James Maddison in place of Bruno Fernandes.
The question is whether there is a middle ground between Arambarri and Rice and how much money is available for a Nemanja Matic replacement once other deals are closed.
At the price it’s available for, Arambarri seems like a low risk game, but there is an opportunity cost of potentially missing out on better players when it turns out his move isn’t a success.
Do you have something to tell us about this article?