Amid the big money deals speculated on like Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane, Manchester United is also associated with a bargain move.
Italian source TMW reports that United are interested in Atalanta midfielder Alessandro Cortinovis.
Before we get into the likelihood of this and where it might fit in, let’s get acquainted with Cortinovis …
1) Cortinovis plays as an attacking midfielder for Atalanta.
2) He has yet to make his debut despite being on the bench in the Coppa Italia.
(Photo by Alessandro Sabattini / Getty Images)
3) Cortinovis has a rich record for the Atalanta academy team. He has scored 12 goals in 24 games and provided three assists this season. Two of those goals came in a promotion play-off game last week.
4) He has played a total of 56 academy games alongside Amad Diallo, back to the U17.
5) The news of United’s interest comes amid reports that “various Serie A clubs” are taking note of Cortinovis and are keen to sign him.
Park your skepticism for a moment …
A transfer rumor like this is easy to dismiss. And so was Amad last summer, and it turned out to be true.
United’s interest in Amad first broke through TMW and it is very possible that Cortinovis got noticed for Amad during the scouting missions.
Cortinovis has an eye for a spectacular goal and while he hasn’t finished his Atalanta just yet, Amad had limited chances before United caught him.
Where could it fit?
We would rate this as the absolute best probability with 4/10.
Cortinovis would have to follow Facundo Pellitri’s route on loan before attempting to crack United’s first team.
A deal could become more likely if Juan Mata is released. In the event Donny van de Beek is loaned or sold and we expect him to stay, United would need an additional attacking midfielder.
Different players develop at different speeds and sometimes Italian clubs are wrong. AC Milan foolishly allowed Manuel Locatelli to leave without being able to establish himself in the first team.
This one is only worth mentioning as a possibility perhaps late in the transfer window if United are looking to take a risk.
Do you have something to say about this article?